Monday, October 1, 2012

A Michigan Fall

I am terrible at posting on a regular basis! It was shortly before summer break when I wrote last. We were spending two weeks at a Science Center Day camp, helping out as teacher's assistants. Move ahead to October, and I'm starting my third week as a camp counselor at a YMCA camp in Michigan. We've been in Michigan for a month and a half, and spent the first month doing maintenance work at another YMCA camp a few hours away.From the moment that I saw Lake Huron I was captivated by the beauty of it! Michigan is beautiful!!!
A picture of Lake Huron Currently I'm working as a camp counselor for the Sherman Lake YMCA Outdoor Center. They offer integrated education programs for local school groups. The children (typically 6th grade), come for three days or a week, and enjoy fun activities such as climbing, canoeing, low ropes, and team building. Everything they learn can be used in life beyond camp. I was a camp counselor for several years prior to this, so having the opportunity to be a counselor again was a dream come true. I'm even thinking of applying to work here next summer if I don't choose to do NCCC again. The staff here is incredible, and I am becoming friends with so many of them. For the first three weeks (including a week of training), education majors from a local college were here. It's strange not seeing them every day. Yesterday I went on a walk in preparation for an underground railroad simulation that the students will be doing on Tuesday, and I was amazed at how pretty the leaves looked and how gorgeous the views were.
it's getting cold here!
I hope to be more consistent about posting, but until then, I wish you a wonderful week and a happy October!

No comments:

Post a Comment