Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Goodbye Technology, Hello Dodgeville, Wisconsin!

Tomorrow I get into a fifteen passenger van and travel three hours or so to my new home in Dodgeville Wisconsin, population-4,698 as of the 2010 census. I will be spending six weeks in the great outdoors, removing invasive species, trail building, tiling, painting, and constructing benches at a nature retreat. I'm so excited to be in a camp environment! Since I won't be at camp this summer, it's going to be nice staying in cabins and being in touch with nature once more. The boys have grudgingly given us the cabin with heat and electricity, for which I am very grateful. We are bringing tents along as well so that people who are interested can sleep outside every now and then. Our days are going to be busy, and I'm sure that we will simply want to relax at the end of the day, and without internet and cell phone reception, I will be forced to spend time with my fellow corps members. Yep, no cell phone and internet at the camp. It's going to make getting work done for my representative roles a little more difficult, but it is a challenge that I am ready to embrace. That being said however, this will probably be my last post for a while. We will be spending our free times in town I imagine, so I will have access then, but my priority will have to be making calls and sending e-mails. When you have the two most time consuming roles that require constant communication with the outside world, priorities have to be made. The staff goal for one of my roles is to have a community day as well as a formal presentation, and for my other roles we have vowed to try to exceed the recruiting goal since we were unable to meet our requirements the last time around. So, what has happened since I last wrote you might ask? I arrived back in Vinton on Friday, after six weeks in Illinois doing energy conservation work. I spent the weekend relaxing, and got the opportunity to see a friend from home on Saturday. Sunday we were back to work as we put together our portfolio and did our prep work for our debrief (which was successful). For those of you who aren't quite familiar with this program, we have many meetings throughout the day. We have to debrief from our previous project and briefed for the second one, have to sign up for meetings for our different representative roles, and have additional training for those roles as necessary. I know this post is probably longer than some of the other ones, but since I won't have many opportunities to get in touch with people and my viewers, I figured this was the best way to let you know what I have been up to and where I am headed next. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment